Monday, April 12, 2010

Speaking of chumros...

As I was re-reading a novella by one of my favorite writers, this paragraph caught my sight:
I bowed with my helmet on, and with the gloved fist I touched the coat of mail on my breast. I didn’t introduce myself. I had the right not to. The shield hanging by my side, turned back to front, was a clear sign that I wished to preserve my incognito. The knightly customs had by then assumed the character of commonly accepted norm. I didn’t think it a healthy development, but then the knights’ customs grew odder, not to say idiotic, by the day.
I suppose some things never change.

What do I like about Sapkowski, you ask? His sense of humor. For instance:
I bet my head that in Ireland Christianity will be a passing fashion. We Irish, we do not buy this hard, inflexible, Roman fanaticism. We are too sober-headed for that, too simple-hearted. Our Ireland is the fore-post of the West, it’s the Last Shore. Beyond, not far off, are the Old Lands: Hy Brasil, Ys, Mainistir Leitreach, Beag-Arainn. It is they, not the Cross, not the Latin liturgy, that rule people’s minds. It was so ages ago and it’s so today. Besides, we Irish are a tolerant people. Everybody believes what he wants. I heard that around the world different factions of Christians are already at each other’s throats. In Ireland it’s impossible. I can imagine everything, but not that Ulster, say, might be a scene of religious scuffles.

14 comments:

e said...

what's up with the new name?

Anarchist Chossid said...

Seems to be a slightly more accurate description of me than the other one.

Anarchist Chossid said...

Plus, I was told that my old name was un-chassidish. I hope the new one is an improvement.

Just like a guy said...

Wait, what was the old name?

Anarchist Chossid said...

CrawlingAxe?

Just like a guy said...

Oh, that.

Just like a guy said...

How is that less unchassidish than this?

Anarchist Chossid said...

It is more unchassidish than this.

You’re having a problem with vectors tonight.

Just like a guy said...

How so?

Huh?

Anarchist Chossid said...

CrawlingAxe is more unchassidish name than my current name. Mainly because my current name has a “chossid” in it.

Vectors = signs. Like saying “more” when you mean “less”. And vice versa.

Just like a guy said...

If everything with the word "chossid" in it...

Who said I didn't mean what I said?

Anarchist Chossid said...

If it’s enough to wear a hat to be considered a chossid...

You did.

Just like a guy said...

Well, it's not.

I did?

e said...

since when are vectors the same as signs?

Only if all the vector's entries are 1 and -1, is it only about signs.