Saturday, March 6, 2010

Regarding da’as

Everyone knows that tiferes is a combination of chessed and gevurah. Chessed wants to give infinite amount of goodness; gevurah wants to give nothing. Chessed wants to reward; gevurah wants to punish. Chessed is kindness; gevurah is severity. Convincing a drunk Israeli who is behaving like a beheima that he should go home to his wife (and then walking him home) is chessed. Punching him out and calling his wife to come collect her husband is gevurah.

Now, tiferes is the combination of the two. It’s not red; it’s not white; it’s a garment with stripes of red and white. It is a midda that successfully combines both emotions. That is why on the kabbalistic representation of the spheros, it’s in the middle — it’s a combination of right (chessed) and left (gevurah).

Now, da’as is also in the middle, and in the Chabad’s version of the tree of 10 spheros, it’s preceded by two spheros: chochma and bina. I always wondered whether the same way that tiferes is a combination of chesed and gevurah, da’as is somehow a combination of chochma and bina. Based on their traditional explanation, it’s hard to see how this is the case. Chochma (“the father”) is the beginning of a thought, its pure knowledge without explanation of the details. Bina (“the mother”) is a development of the thought to the point of understanding its details. Da’as (“the child”) is the connection of the thought to emotions, to reality — it’s the “care” about the thought.

Reading Mitteler Rebbe’s biography today, however, I saw the following:
Author’s Note: I read in In di Getzalt fuhn Chabad, written by a son of one of the Tzemach Tzedek’s chassidim, that chassidim say that Alter Rebbe once said: “My brother the Maharil writes exactly as I say it. My son [Mitteler Rebbe] writes it as I mean it, and my grandson [Tzemach Tzedek] writes it as I say it and as I mean it. This, in essence, is Daas; a combination of Chochma and Binah together.”

9 comments:

Just like a guy said...

Who convinced you to start making your posts religious?

Anarchist Chossid said...

An angry letter from e’s uncle?
Mishichistim?
One of my moshpi’im?
The Rebbe?

One of the above is true.

Just like a guy said...

Not all four?

Anarchist Chossid said...

Those four sources would contradict each other in one way or another.

Just like a guy said...

Ain Lecha Nami.

Anarchist Chossid said...

what’s that story again?

Just like a guy said...

You tell me.

Anarchist Chossid said...

How can I tell you the story I don’t remember? What is this, organic chemistry exam?

Just like a guy said...

Maybe. Maybe not.