Sunday, March 28, 2010

Ministry of Magic

He had remained speechless throughout Fudge's kindly explanation that there were witches and wizards still living in secret all over the world and his reassurances that he was not to bother his head about them as the Ministry of Magic took responsibility for the whole Wizarding community and prevented the non-magical population from getting wind of them. It was, said Fudge, a difficult job that encompassed everything from regulations on responsible use of broomsticks to keeping the dragon population under control (the Prime Minister remembered clutching the desk for support at this point). Fudge had then patted the shoulder of the still-dumbstruck Prime Minister in a fatherly sort of way.

“Not to worry,” he had said, “it's odds-on you'll never see me again. I'll only bother you if there's something really serious going on our end, something that's likely to affect the Muggles — the non-magical population, I should say. Otherwise, it's live and let live. And I must say, you're taking it a lot better than your predecessor. He tried to throw me out the window, thought I was a hoax planned by the opposition.”
— HP VI


This reminded me of the Ministry of Magic in Harry Potter. Except its goal was not to protect the wizards but to protect the muggles (or so I am told).

Which brings me to my main point: [censored] “just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean that they are not really out to get you”. (You have to apply this saying inside-out in this case.)

6 comments:

Just like a guy said...

I never thought I'd see haredi parasites (hp) and Harry potter (hp) in the same blog post- it must be hashgocha pratis (hp)!

Anarchist Chossid said...

You forgot Hewlett Packard.

Just like a guy said...

What does that odious company have to do with anything?

Anarchist Chossid said...

Can it be anything but hashgacha protis (hp) that Harry Potter, Hewlett Packard and hashgacha protis share the same acronym?

Just like a guy said...

Can anything be anything?

Anarchist Chossid said...

If such is der Eibershter’s Will.