Sunday, December 13, 2009

Math and science

For mathematicians, science is just an opportunity to apply their field.

For scientists, math is an opportunity to make their field work (for ideas to emerge from one another, be understood, be predictable, be testable, etc.).

So, for mathematicians, science is a keli for their light. For scientists, math is like horseradish that you eat with gefilte fish. It's not that you can't eat fish without chrein. Or some herring with vodka. It's not like you can't drink vodka without herring, but herring makes it easier to go down. (Plus, everyone knows that a real farbrengen always has herring in it. The same way everybody knows that real science must have some math in it. And real Biology must have some Molecular Biology, even if your project is not about genetics at all.)

I know a person who would say: "Let's go buy some beer. I am in a mood for dried fish. Which beer? Preferably light, but I don't really care. I just like the fish." When asked why not eat fish right away, he would answer that everybody knows you only eat dried fish with beer.

The same way some mathematicians who come to my school really only want to do Math. They don't really care about science (physics, chemistry, Neuroscience, etc.). But they feel silly doing fundamental Math; they want to be doing something applied, whatever it is. The problem is: you really need to care about the science part in order for your Math models to make sense. I guess this may be the difference between art and science; in art, it doesn't really matter (well, for the last hundred years or so) that your work is realistic and is a good depiction of the world out there (I am not criticizing; I like abstract art).

If you think my mosholim are stupid, I don't care. I am not making chiddushim here; I am reminiscing. Also, if you don't like herring, you're a kalte misnaged. Or you haven't tried good herring.

No comments: