Thursday, January 14, 2010

A rule in Judaism

Here is a very important rule that many people ignore:

“L’hatchilo (a priori), in an argument about most choices in life, one can never use hashgacha protis (Divine providence) to negate one’s freedom of choice.”

For instance, you can never say “because Hashem did X” or “Hashem will make the best thing happen anyway" to excuse your inaction in some area where your action is required according to the laws of nature. For instance, not going to a hospital, not pursuing a shidduch, not fixing your car, not eating your food, not doing another run of polymerase chain reaction to double-check your results.

OK, I confess: I made it up. It’s not really a rule in Judaism; at least, as far as I know. But it should be.

9 comments:

e said...

gagaga, you funny Russian. It's "hashgacha protis," not "gashgacha protis." There's this store in Skokie called "Hungarian," but I like to call it "Gunharian" just for fun.

e said...

sorry, not Russian. Jew from Russia.

Anarchist Chossid said...

I am a funny Jew from Russia, but letters g and h are also not very far from each other on the keyboard.

e said...

A mystery:

When I try to type "soul," I often end up typing "sould." The letters l and d are not near each other on the keyboard. Maybe it's because I'm used to typing "should"? But then why don't I ever type "shoul" instead of "soul"?

Maybe I have issues with this whole soul business? I don't know. It's a mystery.

Anarchist Chossid said...

It’s because you’ve sold your soul. So, you write “sould”.

Anarchist Chossid said...

I often write “ration” instead of “ratio”. Maybe my brain thinks it’s another one of those Greek words that English drops an ending for.

im annoying said...

i think its a rule bt's more often feel the need to clarify...?

Anarchist Chossid said...

The question mark tells me of a question, the sentence structure tells me of a statement, and the ellipsis tells me of a confused mind.

e said...

indeed, poor punctuators are often annoying.