Sunday, November 29, 2009

Two worlds

Another day, I needed to print out for someone a page of Gemara with Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz’s Russian commentary. I was, however, out of paper. No problem — I just took a Neuroscience article I had printed out and placed it into the printer, hoping that Gemara pages would print out on the empty side. When the first page came out, I realized that I had put the pages in facing the wrong way.

Looking at the mix of Russian, English, Aramaic and Hebrew (not to mention the figures), I though that this was actually a pretty good representation of my current life:

(click on the image to enlarge)

And so I go through my life, trying to look at Torah through the prism of my secular background, trying to look at my secular world through the magnifying glass of Torah, and trying to make sense of both.

It also reminded me of a painting by Escher, with a similar title:


(“Three Worlds”, Mauritius Escher)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

hmmm

bonne said...

Excellent post, I very much like both the prints.

Anarchist Chossid said...

Chaya: thoughtful?

Sara: thank you. Are you a fan of Escher in general?

bonne said...

Oh yes. There was a recent show in my hometown(Oregon) and I enjoyed the complexity of his work.

bonne said...

There's something more than the cleverness of it though...hm.

Anarchist Chossid said...

I like how his precision is very poetic.

NonymousG said...

There's something genius about the chaos in Escher's work that is very appealing... I appreciated the parralel you drew!

Having said that, I empathise with the conflict you have, though obviously not to the extent you do as I'm not studying a science.

Anarchist Chossid said...

It’s not a conflict. It’s a struggle. :)

NonymousG said...

That's a subtle nuance :)

Unknown said...

yah

anomie said...

Great post - I don't speak Russian, but I feel the same way sometimes. Big fan of escher - I like the fish's facial expression.