Saturday, November 14, 2009

Jewish life in Poland


(am I the only one to whom this Galicianer Yid looks like a Jewish version of, lehavdil, Viggo Montersen?)

To see many beautiful photographs of Polish Jews, visit a photo collage by Bahaltener Pinkos.

By the way, although the official version is that my family came to Ukraine from Poland (settling in Shpola), my grandmother and her sisters speak in Galicianer accent of Yiddish (and so did my great-grandmother). My grandmother is very annoyed at my Lithuanian Yiddish, which I picked up from Lubavitchers (mixed with the influence of German I took in college).


(click on the images to enlarge)

2 comments:

bonne said...

That top picture is excellent.

Anarchist Chossid said...

I agree. Hence my choice as a new icon (Edgar Allan Poe picture was getting old).