Sunday, May 9, 2010

[ǃɡx, ǃɡ͡ɣ, ǃɡʱ]

Someone asked me today what the last syllable of my first name sounds like. It’s actually an interesting philosophical question, which has to do with topics of religion, ethnohistoriography, nationalism, linguistics and epistemology. I won’t talk about any of these things now, however. Suffice it to say that a picture is worth a thousand words, and a moving picture is worth a thousand moving words.

One of the sounds pronounced in this short clip (~frumkeit friendly) is a part of my first name. Watch almost until the end (the whole clip is great, but the essence starts at 2:40):



(This is not to detract attention from my super-serious anarchist post. Please read that and comment.)

7 comments:

Just like a guy said...

As I said, your poor gabbai.

Anarchist Chossid said...

At least my name doesn’t consist of dropping-a-pencil sound.

Just like a guy said...

Right, that would be difficult on Shabbos.

e said...

pashol nakhyi! I am beginning to suspect that you are entirely bereft of middle name and interesting father's name and are just enjoying the attention.

Anarchist Chossid said...

hey, this is a family-friendly blog.

e said...

For American families to read.

Anarchist Chossid said...

And Russian ones.