Friday, January 20, 2012

Trying new things

A good sense that go players acquire is in how to balance trying out new things and relying on already known concepts and techniques.

For instance, if you're not sure how to invade that corner, maybe choose the safer option of settling on the side. And in general, don't create over-complicated situations that require reading beyond your skills (I noticed recently that I tend to do that); instead, play solidly.

On the other hand, if you don't try new things, you will get stuck on your current level.

The way I tend to resolve this dilemma is by learning a new concept in a book, trying to see how it is applied by pro players in their games, doing some related go problems, and then, when I feel confident I understand (at least in theory) the concept, I try to apply it in my games. Usually failing the first few times...

Anyway, what lead me to thinking about all of the above? This cartoon:

Good shape
(source)

Speaking of corner invasions, interesting post.

No comments: