Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thoughts on Theory of Evolution



One of several thoughts from starting to read The Hand by Frank R. Wilson.

My problem with obsession with the Theory of Evolution is not that I don’t believe in TE. I do. I mean, I believe the facts. If the facts contradict each other, I can try to find the way to reconcile them (as in contradiction of Quantum Mechanics and General Theory of Relativity), bend one set of facts to another, or just let the contradiction be. And I believe that I really can reconcile Evolution and Judaism.

So, I accept Evolution as a fact, albeit perhaps interpreted by me differently from the most. The problem appears when people start defining their lives according the Evolution, defining the essence of humanity. Defining me, after all.

Because I don’t believe that. Whatever facts I may believe, I am still a theist, a Chassidic Orthodox religious Jew whose outlook on the definition and essence of life, its purpose and its meaning derives from Judaism. Facts are facts. They are out there. The world looks old. Nu. The species look like they share common ancestry. Nu. Perhaps they do — in physical, or, more likely, in mystical sense (which practically yields the same consequences). Nu.

But these things don’t define me. The purpose with which my Creator sent me into this world does.

At the same I could see how these things would most meaningfully define an atheist’s life. Or perhaps not — I don’t know what would meaningfully define an atheist’s life (just like I don’t know what would be his meaningful definition of morality) without him being intellectually dishonest, ignorant, stupid or lying to himself.

But perhaps this is what irritates the Conservatives about TE, which I never understood (the theory being for me just a scientific, biological fact and a useful model for interpreting and representing data, not any life-defining or -changing set of principles or ideas).

7 comments:

le7 said...

Nicely said.

le7 said...

Dangit...subscribe...

Anarchist Chossid said...

I am thinking perhaps I am not such a serious evolutionist.

Also, perhaps there is practical consequence — in fact, what I just said in the post.

bonne said...

This was a good post.

mmfiore said...

There is a new Theory of everything Breakthrough. It exposes the flaws in both Quantum Theory and String Theory. Please see: Theory of Super Relativity at Super Relativity Einstein was right!

Anarchist Chossid said...

The wors is is a little strong. There are hypotheses and theoretical framework (including mathematical machinery) being developed, but right now it’s far from clear whether String theory is indeed science or just scientific enthusiasm (like role playing or re-enactment in history or fencing).

But in any event, my point was that the strategy for the present is either hope that the contradiction will be resolved, and perhaps work on the resolution, or just live with the contradiction. A kasha never killed anyone.

Anarchist Chossid said...

word*